From r/interestingasfuck to r/amItheasshole, Reddit often represents the more authentic and conversational side of social media, away from the carefully curated visual profiles often found on other major platforms.
The second ever Reddit Recap highlights the top posts, communities and moments that have happened on the platform over the past 12 months.
The report offers brands an insight into what’s trending and resonating with audiences and why Reddit remains one of the most culturally relevant platforms available.
It also shines a light on the growing levels of engagement on the platform and the value there is to be found for brands and advertisers who are present on Reddit and those thinking about getting involved as we head into a new year.
As of November 2022, Reddit saw a total of:
430 million+ posts -- up 14% YOY
2.5 billion comments -- up 7% YOY
From seeking advice on r/AskReddit to collaborating across geographies on r/place’s digital canvas, this year’s Recap highlights which of Reddit’s 100,000+ active communities attracted the most user engagement in 2022.
This year redditors went above and beyond with their creative contributions to r/place, a collaborative digital canvas on which a single redditor can only place a single tile every five minutes.
In this year’s 87-hour run of the project, Redditors from 236 countries and territories contributed 160+ million tiles, adding all kinds of art, memes, and memorable moments.
Though it was only a four-day event, r/place was the 16th most-viewed subreddit, and the most upvoted post in all of 2022. Here’s a look at some of the numbers that reflect Reddit’s awesome community:
The most upvoted global posts:
1. r/place: Full screenshot of r/place 2022 (434,300 upvotes)
2. r/interestingasfuck: In 1996 Ukraine handed over nuclear weapons to Russia "in exchange for a guarantee never to be threatened or invaded" (403,500 upvotes)
3. r/mademesmile: he finally got his acorn �� (379,800 upvotes)
4. r/aww: Man stops to rescue kitten, gets ambushed by platoon (357,200 upvotes)
5. r/place: Place has ended. (353,700 upvotes)
The Most Upvoted AMAs:
1. r/movies Hello, I’m Nicolas Cage and welcome to Ask Me Anything (238,500 upvotes)
4. r/iama I'm LeVar Burton, host of LeVar Burton Reads. AMA! (48,700 upvotes)
Read more about the recap here and view a video summary below.